Saturday, August 29, 2009

Lunch at Fiery Ron's in Sullivan's

Sorry, no pictures this time. I didn't have my camera with me today.
One of the things I like about living in the East Cooper area is the amazing number of restaurants in the area. After our tennis social this morning, Christine and I decided we would run some errands and get some lunch on Sullivan’s Island. Actually it was only one errand; we had to drop some DVDs off at the library and some others we had on reserve were ready. We dropped off Faith Like Potatoes and 27 Dresses. We picked up two other DVDs and a couple of books. Our library system is awesome. The Mount Pleasant Branch is the most used of all of them - including the huge main branch in downtown Charleston.

After our library stop, we headed over to Fiery Ron’s Home Team BBQ on Sullivan’s. Before I discuss the restaurant, I need to let you know that the Sullivan’s Island restaurant and bar area can be crazy for parking on weekends, even in the off-season. During the summer, it can be crazy finding parking even on weekdays. I imagine it is worse at night when the bars are hopping. I suggest you be very careful there when you are walking or driving. There are a lot of folks who are not from here who are looking for their restaurant or trying to find a parking spot and not paying attention to traffic or pedestrians.

Fiery Ron’s was pretty good. We had to wait for a while to get recognized. I think it is because we took a seat outside and the waitress had just cleaned the tables and gone in to drop off orders. It was exacerbated by the fact that we were very hungry. We had breakfast at 8, played tennis from 10-12, showered, got out to the library, and now it was 2. The Mary B's Biscuits and eggs I had for breakfast was burned up. The five minutes or so that we waited for service felt like a long time.

Christine ordered the Pulled Pork Quesadillas. It was a large helping; too large for her. I had to help. They came with three types of salsa, guac, and sour cream. I liked them. The BBQ had good smoked flavor that wasn’t covered up by any sauce. They were also filled with cheese; cheddar I think. Christine thought they were a bit greasy. I agreed. But, I still liked them.

I had the Pulled Pork Sandwich with Slaw on top and Fries on the side. It was a good sandwich. I like the Lexington, NC style BBQ and Ron’s had the hot vinegar sauce to make it happen. It was a good sandwich and the fries were just right and not greasy at all. If I ordered it again, I would ask for them to add the cheese from the quesadilla.

All in all it was a pretty good trip. We’ll go pack, but we won’t hurry. Next time we want to get to Acme Cantina on IOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment