Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fishing with a Club


Not this kind of fishing with a club

One of the things I really enjoy about the East Cooper area is the fishing. I did not get a chance to go out over the Labor Day weekend due to the weather. It was too windy and choppy for me to go out in the kayak. I suppose I could have called a fishing club member and gone out; but, I was really just enjoying sitting out on the screen porch, reading, and playing tennis.
I have been a member of the East Cooper Fishing Club for two or three years now. The members are some of the best people you could meet. I have been out fishing with at least a half dozen of them individually and several more as a group. The information I have learned while I have been a member of the club has helped me catch more fish than I have ever caught prior to becoming a member.
This fishing club is different from other clubs I have heard about. I have heard of clubs where members competitively fish every week with secret spots and secret techniques. This club is about exactly the opposite. We all fish when we can and share the spots and techniques. What is even better is that we have some very experienced guides and fishermen in the club who not only share fishing holes; they share how to find your own spots.
East Cooper Fishing Club runs an ongoing club tournament every quarter as well as two or three tournaments per year. The club meets on the first Monday of every month at Lighthouse Church, off 41, in Mount Pleasant. The website has a forum that has some sections accessible to the general public. The best parts of the forum are for members only. A large part of that section is where people give their fishing reports; many of them complete with time, tide, bait, and spot. Our active membership includes several of the area's top guides as well as the owner of my favorite tackle shop, and at least one excellent boat mechanic.
If this is something that might interest you, feel free to come out. Our next meeting is September 14, 2009 at 7:00 at Lighthouse Church.
By the way, I stole these pictures from Andy, our website administrator.



Club members turned out to help with a fishing rodeo for disabled kids.



Club members and families at the Annual ECFC Oyster Roast

No comments:

Post a Comment