Friday, October 2, 2009

The Trifecta



Until about a two years ago, my work took me out to Georgetown on a weekly basis. From where I live, the trip to Georgetown is about an hour and 90 percent of the trip is in US 17. There is a very interesting area of US 17 that is about 15-20 minutes North of my home that I never really get to, except for those trips. About 15 miles from the Ravenel Bridge there are three places within a mile of each other that worth taking an afternoon and seeing:

The Seewee Restaurant



SeWee Outpost



Hidden Ponds Nursery



The Seewee Restaurant is on my top five list of favorite East Cooper Restaurants. My wife and I have only been for dinner, but they look crowded for lunch as well. We have gone on the weekend and seen live music there as well. I’ll do a separate review for them in a later blog. You could start or finish here.



Sewee Outpost looks like any other gas station with a convenience store attached. That is what I thought it was for years. I had stopped for gas, paid at the pump, and went on my way. Then, one day on my way to the boat ramp, I decided to buy some bait instead of catching my own. I had seen the Outpost sold bait and went in to get some. I was shocked at what I saw. This place has everything. The bait and fishing section is only a couple of aisles. There is a large clothing section, with clothing from Columbia and Carhart and a grocery section with homemade pies and everything from Alligator to Zebra. Well, maybe not zebra; but there was alligator.





Finally, the main event – Hidden Ponds Nursery. I stopped at Hidden Ponds on the way back from Georgetown once. They had pampas grass on sale. I bought one, took it home, cut it in half, and planted it in two places. Now, that grass is huge; it has taken over the areas I planted it and I prune one of them with a wood saw to keep it away from my air conditioning unit. They dwarf the pampas grass plant I purchased from the big box store.






Hidden Ponds is a very interesting place. It takes about an hour or so to walk through it. They have all kinds of plants for the East Cooper area; as well as chemicals, garden accessories and fish. But, the neat part for me is the landscaped pond with the fountains. Just past the animal pen – with goats and roosters, there is a beautiful pond with a wooden bridge and two fountains in it. This place is definitely worth a look, especially if you are considering adding a couple of things to your landscape.


1 comment: